Use this December Home Maintenance Checklist to get your home ready for winter and to protect your family.
COMPLETE DEEP DUSTING
- Change Air Filters
- Make sure you dust. With the furnace on and a lot of activities indoors in the winter months dust from the summer and fall get stuck in small areas.
- Wipe down light switches, dust your lamps, ceiling fans and give your baseboards a solid dusting.
CHECK ALL OUTDOOR LIGHTS
- Clean Rain Gutters
- Make sure all of your outdoor lights are working. It gets darker earlier and the weather conditions can be treacherous.
- Make sure you can see your walkways clearly.
- Check your outdoor garage lighting.
- Consider installing outdoor solar lights with motion detector features.
- Caulk your shower. Mold and grime get into the crevices and pose health dangers.
- Check to make sure your showers and bathtubs are adequately caulked to prevent water damage.
- The stove and oven are getting a lot of use during the holidays.
- Your range hood funnels out fumes and odors out of your home. Not only is a dirty hood unsightly but it can be dangerous.
CAULK TOILETS TO THE FLOOR
- Caulking your toilet to the floor minimized odors. It also keeps your toilet secure.
- Winter is known for power outages. Now is a good time to check all your flashlights and batteries. Make sure you have plenty of extra batteries on hand.
- With nightfall arriving early in the Winter make sure you’re prepared for those extra hours of darkness. Keep a few extra flashlights on hand.
- Now is a great time to stock up on drinking water. Wintertime pipes freeze. You want to ensure you have plenty of drinking water on hand in the event of an emergency.
- Be prepared and keep water on hand. Most grocery stores have water dispensers that allow you to fill your own jugs.
STORE CANNED AND DRY FOOD
- Winter brings with it storms, power outages and nature can interrupt our daily life.
- Make sure you have canned and dried food on hand in the event of an emergency.
CHECK ATTIC INSULATION
- Make sure your home is well insulated. Proper insulation can help lower your heating bill. One of the biggest culprits of a high heating bill is inadequate attic insulation.
- You can also hire a professional to assess your attic. It’s a great investment for peace of mind.
- Taking measures to adequately insulate your attic can pay you great dividends.